Friday, January 22, 2010

Semester Reflection

“What’s a sanction”, I asked my dad one of the first few days of school, he looked at me surprised and a bit taken back that the word “sanction” was even in my vocabulary. That wasn’t the last time I asked him about something we were learning in Mr. Fielder’s class. I learned so much this year about things I wouldn’t have even known about if I wasn’t in Global Ed.

As much as I complained about the weekly articles and how they were so time consuming, I realized how much I learned from them. The article I enjoyed most was dealing with Iran (not just because I got a great grade), I though the coolest part was while we were talking about how the USA should solve this problem, our countries leaders were trying to solve the same exact problem. “I think that the USA should deal with Iran and their nuclear weapons by enforcing embargos and Sanctions.” This way other large cities like Tehran Iran would rethink their nuclear power and it would change the counties program of weapons.

Last year at this time I didn’t even know what the “Rwandan genocide” was. Once we started learning about it I found this not only inserting but I really wanted to learn more about it. I was quite confused at the beginning, trying to figure out the different groups and what each group played what role in the Genocide. I also thought it was awful the Hutus were trying to take power of the Tutsis, but they difference between each group was something as different as their nose shape; job or even what belonged to them. I really wanted to know who actually started this mess and what in the world they were thinking, but later to find out that many different groups were in charge.

Finding a “credible source” was also something very helpful to learn, I always knew not to trust everything you read and preach everything you hear, but that didn’t stop me from printing an article off from just anywhere. Now I know not to believe everything from “wiki” even if it was the first link & quick and easy. I learned to check to sites to see if it is “true” because chances are if two or more sites have it, it’s correct information.

Cultural Events have been my favorite thing about Global Ed; I would never take the time to go to the “Henry Ford Museum” on a Saturday or go to the “Greek Festival”. However when we are forced to go somewhere new every cultural event, it makes for a good learning expierence. I enjoy going to these cultural places, I also enjoy spending time with my family when I go.

The first week of Global Ed, I'm not gonna lie I wasnt a huge fan. However now that I take my time doing to work, and enjoy it more ,than complain Im glad that I took the class to learn all of the above and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment